A highly coveted degree among Indian graduates is a MBA or Master in Business Administration. More than 500 institutes In India offer MBA or PGDM degrees. Out of these, around 50 are decent in terms of placement, return on investment, infrastructure, fees and alumni network.
To get admission into the top MBA colleges in India, one has to get a high rank in management entrance tests such as CAT (Common Admission Test), MAT (Management Aptitude Test), XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test), SNAP, CMAT, ATMA and others.
Ranking of the MBA colleges and institutions is done on the basis of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) approved National Institutional Ranking Framework’s (NIFR) rankings.
The top 10 MBA colleges in India are –
1. Indian Institute of Management – Ahmedabad –Entrance Exam - CAT
2. Indian Institute of Management – Bengaluru – Entrance Exam - CAT
3. Indian Institute of Management – Kolkata – Entrance Exam -CAT
4. Indian Institute of Management – Lucknow - Entrance Exam -CAT
5. Indian Institute of Management – Kozikhode - Entrance Exam - CAT
6. Indian Institute of Management – Delhi - Entrance Exam- CAT
7. Indian Institute of Technology – Kharagpur –
(Vinod Gupta School Of Management) – Entrance Exam -CAT/MAT
8. Indian Institute of Technology – Roorkee - Entrance Exam -CAT
9. Xavier Labour Relations Institute – Jamshedpur -Entrance Exam - XAT
10. Indian Institute of Management – Indore – Entrance Exam –CAT
There are a lot of institutions in India which are also offering MBA through online or part time or through distance learning mode. These are suitable for anyone who wants to pursue higher educationalongside working in a regular job. These degrees provide the flexibility to successfully balance both work and studies. The cost is quite lesser than a full time degree and thus can be afforded by most.
Some of the top institutes offering MBA through distance education include –
1. Institute of Management Technology (IMT)
2. Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL)
3. Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
4. ICFAI University
5. Sikkim Manipal University (SMU)
6. Annamalai University
7. NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education (NGA -SCE)
8. Welingkar Institute of Management Development (WeSchool)
9. Amity University
10. Lovely Professional University
Does MBA in distance learning have any value ?
After completing graduation many students opt to enter the workforce and gather some work experience. For them pursuing a full time management degree while holding on to a regular job is not feasible. Thus they often opt for part time or distance courses to get a management degree.
They get the flexibility that is needed as they do not have to attend regular classes and can manage work and studies comfortably. Also they are able to apply the newly learnt managerial skills and knowledge in real corporate scenarios, thus giving their career progression a much needed boost.
Often the management degree earned through distance learning paves the way for them to get their next promotion in their job.
Institutes offering distance learning degrees are nowadays accredited and certified.
Moreover, MBA from a top B-School costs enormously and many students have to take huge education loans from banks at high rates of interest. However the cost of completing MBA through distance mode is comparatively lesser and the courses are affordable to all.
Some companies do not give preference to distance education candidates during their interview procedure but many companies give priority on the capabilities, skills and knowledge of the candidate rather than their mode of study. They do not care from where he has done his MBA.