Holding leaders accountable for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Among the top HR priorities for leaders in 2022, the greatest challenge is to diversify the leadership bench which lacks diversity in the pipeline.
“When leaders are not held accountable for advancing DEI goals, yet are personally responsible for advancing talent, this creates a disconnect.” - Caitlin Duffy, research director in the Gartner HR practice.
Initially, the role of HR in 2022 must take a two-pronged approach to address how leaders make decisions:
• First, organizations must redefine the criteria leaders use to make talent decisions, with a focus on eliminating bias.
• Second, HR leaders should integrate objective data into talent processes around the decision-making moments, such as evaluating candidates for a promotion or analyzing the mental health of succession pools.
Next, the focus can be narrowed down in the following manner:
• Create standardized procedures to track and monitor leaders' progress toward their DEI targets.
• To incentivize individuals to take action, establish peer-to-peer leader transparency around DEI measures.
• To ensure that leaders' success in the organisation demands them to lead inclusively, incorporate DEI measures into performance evaluation processes.